In September, our school had a special visitor – Ian ‘the Doodle Bug’ Brealey, who delivered art/growth mind-set workshops to the junior classes. The pupils really enjoyed developing their drawing skills and their growth mindset. At the end of the day, Ian gave a motivational assembly.
Some comments from our pupils:
What were you proud of?
- I was happy with the effort I put in.
- I used my growth mindset well.
- I thought I was a bad artist but I realised I was good.
- I’m proud that I can draw circles using the dot method.
- I am really proud of how my drawing turned out in the end.
How did you use a growth mindset?
- We had to learn from our mistakes.
- We had to not give up and persevere.
- We had to put effort into our work and try and improve it.
- I kept on getting the shape of the head wrong but I never gave up!
- When I was doing the nose, it always came out as a diamond but I kept trying and it worked out in the end.
What did you enjoy most?
- He taught us good drawing skills and taught us to persevere.
- We liked drawing freehand and learning new skills.
- It was drawing in a different way.
- I liked Ian’s growth mindset messages.
- I liked hearing about the stories when he made mistakes.