The safety of children when using the Internet (eSafety) is of paramount importance to our school. E-Safety is an intrinsic part of our computing lessons and at any time the children access technology.
Pupils and staff at Gade Valley School are able to access the Internet through the Hertfordshire Grid for Learning (HGfL). It provides a safe and secure Internet and email environment to support teaching and learning as well as school management and administration.
School internet access is controlled through the Local Authority's web filtering service. All Internet activity is monitored and recorded.
Pupils can now forward chain mail to us, so that, the fear is removed that something bad will happen to them if they don't pass it on. Also, we can monitor how often it is happening and where its coming from.
Hertfordshire Grid for learning provides lots of up to date e-safety advice for parents :
The following websites may also offer further support to parents and carers.
- www.saferinternet.org.uk - Here you will find e-safety tips, advice and resources to help children and young people stay safe on the internet.
- www.childnet.com- An organisation working directly with children, parents and teachers to ensure that the issues of online child protection and the safe and positive use of the internet are addressed.
- www.thinkuknow.co.uk - The Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Centre has set up its own website which has been designed and written specifically for children, young people, teachers, parents and carers.
- www.kidsmart.org.uk/ - Kidsmart is an award winning internet safety website for parents and those working with children. It has been developed by the children's internet charity Childnet International and has excellent information on many of the technologies used by children, with guidance on how to ‘stay safe’ online.
- www.bullying.co.uk - One in five young people have experienced bullying by text message or via email. This web site gives advice for children and parents on cyberbullying.
- http://parents.vodafone.com/ - Being very accessible, this provides information and guidance to parents to help under the digital world. There is also an online test to see how much you know.
- www.internetmatters.org - Lots of guidance and articles for parents about keeping their children safe online.
- www.digizen.org - A website designed to strengthen awareness and understanding of what digital citizenship is. It encourages users of technology to be and become responsible DIGItal citiZENS.
- www.ceop.police.uk/ - Advice and guidance through CEOP.
- www.pegi.info/en/index/ - PEGI to help check the age ratings and content of games.